Tuesday 13 November 2012

Facing Fears


As excited as I am about starting this new adventure and working as a house call veterinarian, I have to admit that I also experienced some trepidation.  Along with the usual apprehension that comes with opening a new business I was also concerned that people might not call, that they might not accept me into their homes or perhaps they wouldn't understand how the whole at home veterinary experience would work.  Among those fears was also the “Fear of the Aggressive Dog”.   For the most part, dogs are good and kind and happy to see me, even in a clinic environment.   There is however, that subpopulation which really would rather have nothing to do with me, or maybe even eat me if they could.  How am I to handle these dogs on my own, on their turf?  In a clinic setting we sometimes have to have all hands on deck just to look at some of these dogs.  

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/
Today I had to face that fear.  Last week I received a call to see a dog, lets call him “Thor”, whom I had never met before.  The owner was unable to make it to his regular clinic and needed someone to come to him.  I was happy to help out.  I scheduled an appointment and phoned the regular clinic for any previous records.  The records came in and in each entry I noted that the dog was becoming more and more aggressive.   I read the words “lunge”, “sedate”.  Yikes!!!  My heart started pounding.  How could this possibly turn out good?  Still I decided to keep a positive attitude and ensured that I was  as prepared as possible to meet Thor and his family.  

When I entered the house, Thor was not there but when he did come to me, all 110lbs of him, his hackles were raised and he didn’t seem impressed.   I offered him treats and gradually he became my best friend.  He hopped onto my scale and sat like a statue.  He asked me to rub his ears and co-operated for a full examination.  He complained a little for a needle and needed restraint to trim his nails but once that was finished we were friends again.  Even when I ran out of treats he still stayed by my side and allowed me to pet him, without the slightest sign of dominance or aggression.  



I realize that not all my aggressive dog encounters will end so well, but for now I am happy to say that this one did.  I think that Thor and I both gained a little bit of confidence today!  


1 comment:

  1. Your blog is awesome! Very well written and informative! Love it! So happy you were able to friend Thor. Agression in dogs is such a hard thing to gauge, I hope your success continues!

    ReplyDelete