Monday 17 December 2012

Cats at Home in Caledon and Vaughan


As a companion animal veterinarian, I see a wide variety of pets, but mostly I look after dogs and cats.  Some dogs are nervous in a clinic setting but it is also not uncommon for them to be very happy to go to a clinic to see the veterinarian.  On the other hand, it is very rare to meet a cat who is happy to be at the vet’s office.  Many dogs are used to trips in the car and to experiencing new situations.  Cats, however, often spend all of their time in a small area and many never leave the house, except of course to visit the veterinarian.  


Now, I don’t know about you, but if I never left the house except to go somewhere where there are all kinds of unusual odours, barking dogs, other animals and someone was likely to stick me with a needle I don’t think that I would like the car or that silly carrier thing either.  No wonder people sometimes need to reschedule their appointments because they can’t get their cat in the carrier.  I have often thought that it must be terrifying for most cats.  It is not unusual for people to tell me that their cat has a totally different personality at home.  


Since I have started this house call business I have noted that this is definitely true.  I’m not going to lie and tell you that all of the cats I have seen in their own homes are totally stress free and happy to see me 100% of the time.  Some are though, and I have to say that I have never seen some of these feline patients so relaxed.  They will often purr and roll over for me to rub their bellies during an examination.  This would be extremely rare in the clinic setting.  

There are others however, who are still nervous.  They don’t like strangers and especially strangers who come specifically to see them.  My greatest reward comes with these cats.  Despite their stress, I have still managed to get them to come back to me after their exams are done and many will even take a treat!  When I worked in a clinic setting I had stopped trying to give treats to cats, because it was so rare that they would take them so it is definitely nice to see the cats willing to accept a peace offering from me before I go.  

"Lasagna Cat" resting comfortably.
I am so glad that I have been able to observe these pets in their natural environments and that they are less stressed being in their own homes.  I look forward to many more happy feline visits.  

No comments:

Post a Comment